Monday, July 27, 2009

Money

I don't know how many people I know seriously love and enjoy reading. But for me, I consider myself as half-half (Haha), depends on what kind of reading materials. I rather read facts than those comic or story book like Harry Potter and so on. Sometimes it just never make sense, that's my argument not to read. I read news almost everyday if I can online, I read the headline of the website like Yahoo!, BBC.com, thestar.com, skysports.com and more. I read politic news at times, under the influence of my dad, I think my dad is a hardcore fans of politic, especially Malaysian Politic, AGAINST the GOVERNMENT, and SUPPORT the OPPOSITION.

Does it sounds like I'm old? No way!

Okay, yesterday I came across an article-like web page. It's pretty interesting. "20 ways to waste your money". Heck, I think the purpose of this article is not teaching people to waste money, but make people realize where people waste their money on. Hah~

Okay, the 20 ways are:
1. Buy new instead of used.
2. Carry a credit card balance.
3. Buy on impulse.
4. Pay to use an ATM.
5. Dine out frequently.
6. Let your money wallow.
7. Pay an upfront fee for a mutual fund.
8. Pay too much in taxes in investment.
9. Buy brand name instead of generic.
10. Waste electricity.
11. Pay banking fees.
12. Buy things you don't use.
13. Own an extra car.
14. Ignore your local dollar store.
15. Keep unhealthy habit.
16. Be complacent about insurance.
17. Give Uncle Sam an interest-free loan.
18. Pay for something you can get for free.
19. Don't use a flexible-spending account.
20. Pay for unnecessary services.


Let's see which used to happen to me? 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 20.

Number 1: Buy new instead of used, this reminds me like getting a new pair of shoes, I have hell lotsa shoes in my hometown, I think about 20 pairs? And my mum gave it away one by one since I came to Miri, she's say I'm like a caterpillar, with a lot of pairs of legs. Haha. Before I was a huge fans of Nike kicks, will try to save my own money to get the pair that I love. But now, no more. Just left still wearable 5 pairs in my house.

Number 2: Carry a credit card balance, well, not credit card, it's debit card. Recently I've just change my transaction limit to unlimited. Haha. When I've got money in my bank account, I'd love going around in the mall, looking for something interesting and try to have it. But luckily, sometimes got Amelie tell me no need to buy cause I don't need it. But when I go alone, the card gonna keep swapping.

Number 4: Pay to use an ATM, sometimes the 100 meter ATM machine is just soooooo far away in the mall or in town. For instance, there's another bank ATM machine just around the corner and the local bank ATM machine is still far. I'd rather use the nearest ATM and pay for the service fee. I remember when I was in KL few years back, I wasted like 30 bucks just for the transaction, the bank statement came and it shock me. Need to change this very very bad lazy habit!

Number 5: Dine out frequently, back to my hometown, I just don't like eating at home, and I'll call up my friend to accompany me for breakfast or lunch or dinner or even supper when I've got money. But when I'm broke, people call me also I don't go out. Haha. When I've got some money in my wallet still, sometimes will go lounge to have few bottles of beer and enjoy the life band. If left a bit, buy few can of beer and drink at the nearby playground with my friend. Haha.

Number 9: Buy brand name instead of generic. This is interesting, Amelie told me that what attract me is not the product itself but it's actually the price. Why I need a Quiksilver shorts that cost me more than 200 bucks than a pair of BodyGlove shorts which is much more cheaper? I also don't know why. I only used to buy brands like Nike, Quiksilver, Levi's and I think that's most of the brand I use. The deodorant I used, why not those sold in the supermarket that cost less than 10 bucks or even less than 5 bucks, instead of getting brands like CK, SwissArmy deodorant that cost me around 100 bucks? I don't know, this is my weakest point in my financial problem. Haha.

Number 10:
Waste electricity. I don't really waste, just try to make myself comfortable la, in Labuan, sometimes I'll switch on my air-con half an hour before I'm going to bed so that the room will be cool and very comfy to sleep. And sometimes while waiting for long hours, I'll let the car engine run so that the air-con run as well. Other than that, I don't waste. =)

Number 11: Pay banking fees. Anually the bank will 'eat' my money like 30 to 50 bucks? I also don't know, those don't know what fee, they just deduct the money in the account without telling earlier. And transferring money, RM 2.00 per transaction. I can't control this.

Number 12: Buy thing you don't use. Oakley Oakley Oakley! I bought an Oakley sunglasses cover for 120 bucks! Which I just put it on the cupboard for decoration. I don't know why I bought that stupid stuff. And I'm obsessed to sunglasses, I've got like 7 pairs of sunglasses, 1 is broken but the rest of them are still in good condition. I don't need that but I still try to keep and buy them.

Number 20: Pay for unnecessary services. Car wash service especially. In my hometown, I've got plenty of time but just cause I'm too lazy, I'll just bring it to the car wash centre and pay for the car wash. Lazy = waste money.

I think if I could have avoid this since 5 years ago, I can buy a car on my own, but Kancil saja la. Haha. Thinking back, money aren't easy to earn, I know about that cause I've worked before, earning like RM 2.5k for 2 months and spend it like water in a week time. Well, I need to change some of my bad habit. Hehe~

Yesterday, went back to campus to attend the lectures, which is Thermodynamic and Engineering Management, honestly speaking, real damn bored! Now I'm worried I can't go through this semester again. I had this kind of feeling every begining of the semester. God, please help me! Today class only start at 3 pm and will end at 6 pm. Hell late, hope not gonna be sleepy.

I think that's all for this post. Leave some comment!

Chow~

No comments:

Post a Comment